shabby background

Monday, September 27, 2010

Dino Museum with Amy and Taylor

Long story, but this picture got deleted and now it's at the top. Deal with it, and keep reading. :) The original caption read...
Armageddon? Nah, just an airplane!


For Christmas last year we got a pass to the Dino Museum from Amy and Taylor. It has been an amazing gift because I can take the kids to go do something for free whenever the weather is bad or we feel like going to see the dino's. The Museum of Ancient life in American Fork boasts the largest collection on Earth. For real. It's practically in our back yard so we try to make good use of it.
Elle has loved dinosaurs since she could barely talk.
When she was about 2 she would beg me to read Dinosaur encyclopedia books to her at bedtime. So I would tell her the name of the Dino and then after gleaning a bit from the book I would tell her a bit about them. For example that Archaepteryx was one of the very first birds, and that Pachycephalosaurus' had thick skulls that they used to defend themselves. I'll never forget Elle trying to pronounce these words. Especially Sinornathasauras. I'm sure its spelled wrong here but its such an obscure word I can't find it on spell check or dictionary.com so bare with me and trust that I at least tried to spell it phonetically. Anyway, so Elle spent about 4 days whispering this word to herself and to me over and over trying to say it right. She kept skipping one of the many syllables but was so determined to get it right! One morning I opened my eye's to her sitting on my chest at the crack of dawn and proclaiming triumphantly"Sinornathasauras"! Perfectly! I was so proud of her and amazed by her tenacity. She is now trying to teach her little brother all about the Dinosaurs. He loves to stomp around and roar with his arms at his side like a T-rex. I'm so glad they both love going to see the Dinosaurs because I love to taking them!

Possibly Elle is contemplating our fleeting existence? Or the vastness of time? Or wondering when we get to play in the sand pits? Could be anything!
Amy dancing in the solar system.
The museum also has a traveling learning display. This year's is optical allusions. Beau and Taylor built this little tower out of blocks, I have no idea why. But it turned out pretty cool.
Awwww. Gabe has made a little friend!
Outside the museum are the thanksgiving point grounds. They have acres and acres of beautiful gardens and a little cobblestone boardwalk where they have shops along the street, and this weird contraption that spouts water when you pull the levers on it. I think its supposed to be an art piece? Its fun whatever it is!
See the rainbow?
Reflections.

2 comments:

  1. haha jared has that same gi joe shirt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so fun! pretty sure i never got in to dino's but that is cute that she loves them so much. i was at thanksgiving point 2 weeks ago and i saw a lot of kids playing in that water thing and couldn't figure out how their parents get them home once they are soaking :) haha

    ReplyDelete