shabby background

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Elle reads, Gabe buttons

One morning as I was doing the usual morning routine (make pancakes, get kids ready for school, brush hair etc.) Elle sat down at my feet and started "reading" some books. At first I must admit I kind of ignored her, mumbling something like "ah yeah hunny that's great". Hey I was making pancakes which requires great concentration so early in the morning. When I was finally done I realized she was reading "Green Eggs and Ham". Not just "reading" READING. Normally she looks at the pictures and makes guesses and uses her memory to read. This time she was quickly sounding out each word and blowing through the whole book. I don't know what got into me but I burst into tears! She looked at me like I was crazy, rolled her eyes and said "mommy, just take a picture". So I did. I'm not sure why it hit me in such a specific way, I guess it's that reading is a trait that I like in myself, and to see it immortalized in your child is overwhelming.

No more than half an hour later, Gabe told me he could button up his own pants. Gabe NEVER says he can do ANYTHING. He loves the luxury of Mom and Dad doing everything for him. He knows that if he cries that he can't do it, we'll eventually just do it for him. So I was blown away that he was offering to do something for himself. No coaxing, no bribing, no explanation... So I made a big deal, clapping and praising him, and taking pictures.


1 comment: