shabby background

Saturday, June 4, 2011

It's been a super busy last two weeks with the end of school and beginning of summer, so I haven't had time to put any pictures up. So I'm going to just write a few funny things the kids have been doing lately.

First off, ( and this ones not so funny, I guess) Elle said something that absolutely floored me and I've been thinking about ever since she said it. Elle has been terrified of the bathtub for the last several months. It had gotten to the point where she could only shower in my shower with me which she is getting way too old for. She's scared she'll get sucked down the drain or that her toys will. This may have been because once, when I wanted her to clean up her bath toys really fast I pulled the plug and said "hurry and grab your toys before they go down the drain!". Then to help matters, a teeny tiny sponge toy that dissolves in water went down the drain while she was watching. I think this alerted her for the first time that things go down this mysterious dark drain and never come back. After months of bribing, cajoling, crying (mom and daughter), explaining, and yelling nothing seemed to work. Finally I asked Beau to show her pictures of what pipes look like and explain in great detail why it would be physically impossible for her, or large plastic tub toys to go down the pipe. I even had Gabe sit on the drain as it was draining. This sent Elle into the crying where kids sort of just let out a long grunt, go red faced, shaking uncontrollably while tears shoot down their face. Having her baby brother sit on the drain scared her the most. Good one mom.

Then one glorious day Elle hopped in the tub no problem. I kept my cool and said nothing as to not bring up the bad memories. Then when bath time was over, Elle put the toys away and pulled the plug. She. pulled. the plug. Then laid there while it drained. I was completely astonished. When I got her out I praised her as much as I could and she giggled while I dried her off. Then I asked her "Elle, I'm curious, how did you stop getting scared of the tub drain?".  Answer? "Mom, I told my brain to let go of the fear, and so I just let it go."

I was speechless for several seconds. How would life be for everyone if we could simply say to ourselves, just let the fear go, and then do just that? Probably all kinds of awesome. Sometimes kids, with their underdeveloped brains see things with such simplicity it becomes the most profound advice you've ever heard. No need to cut through any bull-shit- they've never even heard of such a thing. Then she said, "mommy, get me a popsicle." and we were brought right back to reality. Kids are awesome that way too.

ok that was a pretty long post so I'll do more funny sayings later.
Peace out.

2 comments:

  1. Woah. That is really profound! Go Elle! That is quite an amazing story! You should post it on your other blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...wasn't expecting that endin when I started reading this post! ...haha I just realized steph commented on this and just said exactly what I was going to... Haha I guess we think alike. The carnival pictures are really fun...I like the eating Dino story haha. You sure do have cute kiddos

    ReplyDelete